Quick tips for Twitch
Quick tips for Twitch if you are streamer or viewer. How to download clips and vods easily, create gifs from streams, use BTTV and FFZ emotes on your phone.
- TwitchLeecher – https://github.com/Franiac/TwitchLeecher/releases
- ScreenToGif – https://www.screentogif.com/
- Volume Master – Chrome
- Sound Adjustment – Firefox
- FrankerFaceZ – https://www.frankerfacez.com/
- BetterTTV – https://betterttv.com/
- Chatterino – https://chatterino.com/
- mChat for Twitch – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mchatty&hl=en
How to download Twitch clips with any browser using bookmarks
You can download Twitch clips easily without any additional programs, you only need browser.
1. Open bookmarks. On Chrome hit Ctrl+Shift+O and on Firefox hit Ctrl+Shift+B.
3. Go to Twitch clip that you want to download and click the bookmark that you just created.
4. If you did everything right you should see file download window.
How to download Twitch VODs using Twitch Leecher
If you want to download full VODs you can do it using program called Twitch Leecher.
1. Download and install latest Twitch Leecher from this link: https://github.com/Franiac/TwitchLeecher/releases
2. After you have installed Twitch Leecher, go to Search. You can just write channel name and search all vods between two dates, or you can go to Urls and copy paste url of the vod you want to download.
3. Hit Download on the vod you want to download.
4. Here you can specify the location and filename. If you don’t want to download the whole vod, you can download between two timestamps using Crop Video option.
How to create GIFs using ScreenToGif
If you want to make gifs from streams you can use program called ScreenToGif. It’s open-source, light and really easy to use.
1. Download and install ScreenToGif from this link: https://www.screentogif.com/
2. Select Recorder.
3. You can specify the fps and resolution of your gif from the bottom of the application window. You can also manually resize the window to size you want. After you have made your settings hit Record, and when your gif is ready hit Stop.
4. After you have pressed Stop, the Editor opens. You can crop, resize, remove frames and do all the basic editing in the app. When you are ready, go to File > Save As and select your File Type and hit Save.
How to use Windows 10 Emoji popup menu
Windows 10 has inbuilt Emoji menu, but the best thing isn’t the image emojis but the list of dongers. If you are old Justin.tv or Twitch.tv user, you might remember all the dongers in the chat.
1. Hit Windows key + . (perioid) from your keyboard and the Emoji menu will open. Remember that you can use these on all Windows apps.
How to enable 3rd party emotes using FrankerFaceZ or BetterTTV
You can enable 3rd party emotes / emojis on Twitch by using FrankerFaceZ or BetterTTV extension for your browser. But these extensions do much much more than that. It’s your choise which one you will use, but i personally like FrankerFaceZ better because it has much more options.
Installing FrankerFaceZ extension
1. Install FrankerFaceZ from this page: https://www.frankerfacez.com/
2. When you are on any Twitch channel, hit the gear icon next to Chat button, and click FrankerFaceZ Control Center.
3. If you want to enable 3rd party emotes go to Add-Ons, make sure that BetterTTV and FrankerFaceZ is enabled.
4. If you want to enable GIF emotes go to Add-Ons > BetterTTV Emotes and change GIF Emotes to Enabled.
5. If you want that messages containing your username is highlighted go to Chat > Filtering and check Highligh messages that mention you.
6. If the sound level of the stream is really low, you can try to fix it by checking Audio Compressor.
Installing BetterTTV extension
1. Install BetterTTV from this link: https://betterttv.com/
2. When you are on any Twitch channel, hit the gear icon next to Chat button, and click BetterTTV Settings.
3. If you want to enable all the 3rd party emotes, gif emotes and emote menu, enable all the options like in the image below.
How to enable BTTV and FFZ emotes in mobile phone with mChat
You can enable BetterTTV and FrankerFaceZ emotes at least on Android phones by using program called mChat for Twitch. mChat is surprisingly good program and its faster than official Twitch app. By default it has ads in it, but you can remove them with 5 usd.
How to use Chatterino for Twitch
Chatterino is open-source chat application for Twitch and its available for Windows, Mac and Linux. It has support for FrankerFaceZ and BetterTTV emotes by default. It is usually used by streamers, but viewers are also using it a lot. You can be on multiple channels at the same time, split channels next to each other and much more.
1. Download and install Chatterino from this link: https://chatterino.com/
2. Open Chatterino and click gear icon from the top right. Navigate to Accounts and click Add and click Log in and follow the instructions. After you get your login code, click Paste login info button.
How to use Volume Master on Chrome
You might be in situation where the stream volume is just really low even you have maxed the volume from Twitch. Then your only option would be to put your speakers to higher volume, but then all the other sites are really loud. This is why Volume Master is really helpful tool, because it gives you a option to adjust volume per tab between 0-600%.
There has been also rumours that Twitch wouldn’t count viewers that has stream muted from Twitch as “real viewer” and it could possibly affect drops or view count, but there hasn’t been any confirmation to that. If that would be the case, then you could keep volume on Twitch, but mute it with Volume Master and bybass this.
1. Install Volume Master for Chrome from this link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/volume-master/jghecgabfgfdldnmbfkhmffcabddioke?hl=en
For Firefox users: Firefox doesn’t have one go-to extension for this use and every extension has really mixed reviews, but you can try this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sound-adjustment/